Are you one of those people who goes to the supermarket and starts buying whatever you remember you need and end up leaving with so many things you actually didn’t need? Are you usually clueless on what to buy or without ideas always ending up your supermarket tour with the same items you always buy? Well I used to be just like that! I used to hate going to the grocery store haha I never organized myself ahead of time so I would end up buying whatever came to my mind right there and sometimes I would go home with things I actually did not really need. You are probably asking yourself: “How did she improve that?”
Let me share with you 5 things I have implemented on my lifestyle to improve my menu planning making my grocery shopping easier and more fun.
- On a Sat, Sun or Monday whatever day I had more free time, I started sitting down and planning ahead if I was going to buy food for the next 1 or 2 weeks.
- I would write down at least 3 meals (you can always have more) I planned on preparing for the week.
- Based on those meals I would create a grocery shopping list before leaving to the grocery store. There I was able to list all the items I needed to buy in an organized way.
- Even though I already had listed all the ingredients I needed to buy, in order to discover new foods I would always try picking at least one new veggie or fruit that was not on the list and that I had never tried to experiment.
- Another tip I have when grocery shopping is to avoid as much as possible the middle aisles because that is where the processed/ packaged foods are. Stay on the sides of the supermarket where the whole foods (veggies, fruits, whole grains) are so you are not tempted to buy anything you know you should not be eating.